Disclaimer

DISCLAIMER: Horns Up Rocks does not consciously breach any copyright regulations. If you are a holder and would like something to be removed from our site, please email us at info@hornsuprocks.com and we will gladly oblige.

Thursday, February 2, 2012

A Great Soul Was Extinguished From The New York City Heavy Music Scene: Rock In Peace Not-So-Evil Steve Ventura!


Yesterday, the New York City Heavy Music scene lost a man that literally bled for the underground music scene! Steve Ventura (A.K.A. Evil Steve), was not only a devoted fan and supporter of all things related to the local music scene (he introduced us to a handful of bands), but he thankfully also captured the essence of this ever-growing scene through the lens of his camera!

One thing that is very inspiring about Steve is how after working all types of jobs for so many years so he could help raise his children, he decided to go back to school and follow his passion of becoming a professional photographer. Unfortunately but rightfully, his plans changed after his father passed away and he took it upon himself to take care of his elderly mother who became very fragile after the death of Mr. Ventura.


We will never forget how Steve jumped on board the Horns Up Rocks crazy train without expecting anything in return! He did it because he believed in us and we believed in his immense talent. We had many conversations with Steve and reassured him that we'd wait for him to be ready to jump back on board, because we respected his priorities as the wonderful son he was.

While Steve might have made some mistakes in his past, just like most of us have. He won't be remembered because of the errors he committed... he will always be remembered for his huge heart and perseverance. If there is one thing that everyone can learn from him, is that life is too short to waste it away! Follow your passion and don't let anyone slow you down. And if they do, just give them the middle finger!


Steve: we love you and thank you for everything you did for us and the entire Heavy Music scene! Rock in PEACE, and rest assured that we will not let your flame be extinguished! \m/



More information about his funeral arrangements to follow!

Services for "Evil" Steve Ventura will be held tomorrow 2/3/12 at:

English Brothers Funeral Home
2203 Avenue Z
(718)743-8459
Viewing Hours:
2-5pm
7-9pm

Go to the comments section and let us know what Steve Ventura meant to you!


‎"A great photograph is a full expression of what one feels about what is being photographed in the deepest sense, and is, thereby, a true expression of what one feels about life in its entirety. You will always be a rock star photographer Steve... no matter what!" - Porphyra Philia

Steve filmed this Horns Up Rocks interview at one of the first national concerts ever covered by us:



"I remember talking to Steve when he first started his photography degree. Watching his photography evolve made me so proud to see. He achieved success and his photos will make him live on forever. I am so sad to read that we lost him." - Stephanie Volpe


"VERY sad news! Steve Ventura (AKA EvilSteveBklynNY): one of the members of the NYC Metal familia has passed away! Throughout the last year he was "missing in action" since he was taking care of his mother after his father passed away. Last time I saw him he offered me some chips out of a semi empty bag even though he was hungry... Steve would literally give you his shirt if you were cold, his drink if you were thirsty & helped me so much when I started Horns Up Rocks! YOU WILL BE SORELY MISSED by the entire NYC Metal familia! I LOVE YOU brother & ROCK IN PEACE my friend, you deserve it!" - Jo Schüftan

Click to see more pictures taken by Steve Ventura

7 comments:

John said...

Steve was a passionate dude and a friend to EVERYONE in the scene. He went through a lot in his personal life and sometimes we wouldn't see him for weeks at a time, but we were always glad to have him back (even if the pics came a little later than we wanted them, lol). He was warm and genuine and a giant supporter of NY Metal. He took great pics and always greeted me with bear hug. I'm going to miss him and I know everyone else will too. And I still owe him $5 for a pack of smokes. Sorry Steve! ;)

- John Tyler
(ex-Lesser Being, ex-Dropdown, occasionally Desolate)

Anonymous said...

Steve (Evil Steve) Ventura... a passionate, loving, giving soul and one of THEE best people to have ever come into the NYC scene ever! There wasn't a band around he wouldn't shoot, nor a friend alive he wouldn't lend his his heart or a hand too. One of my best friend's... from the day we met up until 2 weeks ago we talked ALL the time. Swapping stories back and forth (whether good or bad), taking photo's at shows, hanging out in Brooklyn and Staten Island. He made my 22nd Birthday amazing and got me a Valentine's Day Card. He pushed me through Kevin's (from ADC) funeral and helped me through my move to Albany. Every time we hung out it was an adventure... Like that time in Brooklyn I introduced him to a drink called Sparks... He called me beyond plastered from the cab and told me to get home safe. Or that time we went frantic looking for him and he had everyone sick to death and he was just home sleeping in his snoopy pajama's. I'm beyond lost and so fucking upset you are gone! My laptop is covered in snot and tears over your loss. You are loved and cherished by so many. You were the best fucking son any parent's could EVER ask for. Shit you couldn't even make it to the next HUNG show and I never got to tell you the current good news! Steve, thank you, beyond words, for being in my life. All of our lives. Truly a great loss, we'll miss you, and the NYC scene won't be the same without you. I love you! - Sammy Cakes <3 xoxox

Unknown said...

I knew Steve for 32 years. We went to junior high and high school together. As time passed and our lives evolved, I was proud to introduce him to my family, and especially to my son, on whom Steve showered affection as though he was his own.

Steve became a huge part of our lives, and he will be missed tremendously.

I am saddened and empty with his passing, but I take consolation in the memory of his wonderful, kind and generous spirit. I can think of no more fitting tribute for him than to say: "He rocked."

May you find peace and blessings, brother, and may you look down on us and smile.

Adam

Lady Zombie said...

Steve, you were SUCH a sweet man, and I am deeply saddened to learn of your passing, as are so many in the community. R.I.P. and keep it metal up there until the day we join you. - Lady Zombie

Tim No 37 said...

Steve,

you knew how much I loved you homeboy. I can't express how appreciative I am to have had you in my life. Your support of all I've done in my career. You're the most AMAZING fan a band/DJ/public persona can ever ask for and an even better friend. I'll never forget you. I love you brother. R.I.P.

Bobby G. Marino said...

Steve was one of the rarest forms of people out there.

A true caring individual who would do anything for his friends, and never once ask for anything in return. He wore his OFNR gear proudly and always ensured the events he covered were connected to our station in some way. I will miss our talks, and his friendship dearly.

http://officialfnradio.com/rest-in-peace-evil-steve-ventura/716/

Kore Rozzik said...

I didn't know Steve as well as some of you. However I met him at many shows and he always greeted me with a hug. He shot my one of my first productions give thanks or die. I hadn't seen Steve for a long time when I heard his dad had died. I wish I could of spoken to him in recent times. The little bit of Steve that I experienced in my life was always loving supportive and caring. Me and my friend Emily were filming a comedy skit when were broken the news. I was totally shocked and saddened. I will be at the wake in spirit as I am not allowed to take off from work. My condolences to his family.